Sunday, May 6, 2012

A New Ducking and Where Are All the Other Eggs?

I collect and sell duck eggs.  About a month go, I thought the ducks were in a lull of laying eggs.  I didn't find as many eggs.  Those creative ducks were hiding them from me.  They would lay them, then pile straw on top of them to hide them. Ducks won't sit on eggs until they have a full clutch.  I had no idea how many eggs they had.   I use the word they, because there were so many eggs it took two ducks to lay on all of them!  
The pink eggs are the peacock eggs.
The peahen has been laying eggs, too.  (By the way, I did scramble a peacock egg up for my teenage son, and he ate it fine.  Didn't notice anything different.)  One morning, I left a peacock egg to see if she would sit on it, and came back the next morning to find it was gone.  Hmmm.  These eggs are too big for a mouse to eat.  (There are definitely mice around.) What happened to it? I collect eggs every day.  It should have been here.  I am missing a few chicken eggs as well. What is happening to these eggs!


Today, I found out.  But, there is something else I discovered, too.  A new duckling!  One so far. I have no idea how many  will be born, but what I do know is that there are two of my ducks are sitting on a huge stock pile of eggs. There were a few chicken eggs, but also two peacock eggs!  Delta, the original hen duck, is probably rolling whatever egg she finds near the nest into the nest she is sharing with Denta, one of her ducklings from last year. (Denta has a dented wing, hence the name.  All our ducks' names start with "D".  There's Dexter the drake, Delta the original hen, then there is Dot, Dash, and Denta, all offspring of Dexter and Delta.) Not worried about the chicken eggs in their nest,  Since we have no rooster, it is highly unlikely there will be any chicks, but I expect many more ducklings.  How do the ducklings know which duck is their mama?  Will it  turn into a chapter from the children's book Are You My Mother? by PD Eastman? We will have to wait and see.
I'll take more pictures this week and post them as soon as I can.  More new life on The Derby Farm!

1 comment:

  1. A black duckling seems so exotic to me -- and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete