Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sheep in a Shed Get Sheared!

We are starting to get some warm days here in beautiful Sonoma County.  The leaves are budding on the grape vines; gardens are getting planted. Next week promises sunny skies and 75. Wouldn't want to wear a wool sweater outside in perfect weather.  I didn't think the sheep would either, so why wait?  Time to get them sheared.
As a new farmer, I am learning to do many things myself: inject shots, give medicine, squirt de-wormer in their mouths. But, there is no way that I can shear by myself.  Time to bring in a professional. 
Taking it easy in the barn pen, not knowing what's coming.
To make things easier, I thought I'd corral the flock into the barn pen.  But, I should have locked them in the barn shed instead.  Once those ewes got a sight of the shearer and his large contraption, they went crazy!   Daphne was so scared she broke through the small gate to the pen, and the others, of course, started to run out to the pasture after her. Freedom! But not all of them made it out. We trapped them back into the barn pen, when Fiona tried to jump over the fence! Those girls can jump! It was a little too high for her, so she ended up ripping the fencing right off where it attaches to the barn shed. Oh, no! I was so embarrassed about the behavior of my sheep in front of the shearer.  What was I going to do?  He had to go to another farm after me, and my sheep were running for their lives!
I know!  I'll bribe them back in.  Sweet and delicious oats.  From out in the pasture, I know they heard me dishing it up into their buckets.  I gently called to them.  "Sheeeeeep!  Sheeeeeep!" When they hear that call, they know there is a treat coming.  It worked.  Got them back into the barn pen.  He quickly tied the gate closed, and I trapped Brownie and Adelaide in a jug in the barn shed.  Then, I lured a few others in, but the poor shearer who wanted this whole thing to be over, had to chase the other sheep in the barn.  He left his precious machine leaning against the side of the barn to help. He was worried that if they tipped over his electric shearing machine, they could break it.  To add to my further embarrassment, they proceeded to do just that. Over it went.  To my relief, once he started to shear, it did run. Whew!
Amazingly, the lambs stayed out of the way.  The littlest lamb got caught in the foray of the sheep running into the barn, but I easily picked it up and put it outside the barn with the other lambs. They did not like being separated from their mamas, and made enough noise to let us know that.  They probably sensed the tension from the ewes.  The ewes were to busy trying to get away from the shearer to even notice that the lambs were not around.  They remained quiet.
And, quiet they stayed as he grabbed each sheep around the neck, and plopped it over onto their back.  In that position, there is not much a sheep can do.  There is a little struggle.  He easily took the electric shaver and proceeded to shear off pounds of wool.  The wool on my sheep is not very good or useful wool.  The sheep are meant to be for meat not wool.  But, I kept the bags of sheared wool in hopes of finding something useful for them.  When you touch the wool, you can feel the lanolin in it.  Once it get cleaned up in very hot soapy water, there has to be something we can do it with it.
No! Not me! I like my coat!


Sheila, the sheep who survived the mastitis infection, was already loosing her wool.  She appeared rather mangy. (Infections can make even humans lose some of their hair.) I think she needed the clean up the most. Somehow, during the "Trying to Escape the Horrible Shear Master" episode, Sheila must have slammed her nose into something or someone, and got a bloody nose. And, as long as we had her flipped over onto her back, we got to spray her dying, stinking udder with a good dose of antiseptic.  So, she was hit doubly hard, because that stuff probably stings something fierce.  She really needed it though.
Once all the girls had their coats removed, it was time for the big guy.  The ram.  I had to get him from his back pasture to the barn.  Once I released the ewes from the barn, I had them graze out in the yard with the lambs.  This way, I had a chance to get Sean into the barn pen.  Bess had been in the back pasture with him, and followed me easily because of the bribe I held before her.  Sean, wasn't so convinced.   Sheep do follow each other, though, and he found his way, wanting some of the oats that she was getting.  Gotchya!  There was no way he was going into that barn, though.  We had him in the pen, at least. Chasing him around was no fun.  He wasn't go to tire easily, and the shearer was tiring of the situation.  He finally was able to grab Sean by the neck and guide him into the bar, and flipped over this massive sheep onto his back.  He has gotten quite big just grazing on pasture.  I have had to barely feed him any alfalfa. Once it really heats up around here, and the grasses started to brown, that will change.  In the mean time, the shearer said that the flock all look good and healthy!  We didn't bother to shear Bess.  He clipped her hooves, as he did the others, but after a look in her mouth, said that she really was only fit for the auction.
Below are s few before and after photos.  Brownie turned out to not be pregnant after all.  She is just fat, and had a t least 2 to 3 inches of wool on either side of her which made her look fatter.  So, it looks like there will be only 6 lambs this year on The Derby Farm.
Before and After of Brownie and Jackie
Before Sheila got sick and then before and after shearing

2 comments:

  1. Sheep-shearing is a captivating show, and yours sounds even more exciting than average.

    I bought some raw wool from a sheep farmer once, and washed it in order to have some wool with which to stuff Waldorf-type dolls. But the wool turned out to be thick, thick, thick with foxtails, and I washed and picked and washed and picked for hours and days. I never did wash very much of it, nor have I stuffed one doll yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this hilarious but interesting post. Those sheeps look good after being sheared. :)

    ReplyDelete